[vlc-devel] Re: Compile VLC for debugging

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon May 21 16:29:11 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 20 mai 2007, Andrew Stone a écrit :
> Ok. How do you debug the code then? GDB is pretty useless with
> optimized code. Do you guys use tracing of some sort? I'd really like
> to be able to step through the code. Any help would be appreciated.

Another thing to look out for is to not try to debug libtool wrapper
scripts if debugging from the build tree...

To avoid this, you can:
- link the main executable statically against libvlc (never tried),
- make install and debug from installed binary,
- put gdb/valgrind/etc in th libtool script (between “exec”
and “"$progdir/$program"” near the end): that's what I usually do.

http://www.remlab.net/