[vlc-devel] Re: Help needed with new modules

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon May 21 19:54:51 CEST 2007

[Moved to vlc-devel]

Le lundi 21 mai 2007, Fleu, Thomas a écrit :
> Now there are devices with kind of a hardware mpeg decoder. I do have
> the source code of the driver for this hardware decoder and I want to
> include it somehow into the vlc modules. What I want to achieve is
> that the devices are able to decode the video streams by software or
> output it via the new hardware device according to the command they
> are getting.
>
> My problem now is what kind of modules do I have to create to be able
> to tell vlc to open a stream and route it to this hardware device. As
> far as vlc is concerned, all I really need is my access module and a
> "stream-output" module which consist mainly of the driver of the
> hardware decoder. No demuxer, decoder, ... is required.

If you think you need no demux, I assume your hardware wants the raw
MPEG stream. Then you would need to implement a demux plugin with a
priority higher than that of the "normal" plugin (ts and/or ps).

That assumes VLC receives the raw stream and forwards it to the demux;
if the hardware decoder gets the MPEG feed directly from another piece
of hardware without VLC intervening, hmm... not sure what VLC can do.
That is, you could write a dummy access_demux, but I am not sure what
the use of VLC would be at all (GUI??).

Another important factor is the fate of the hardware-decoded stream...
whether it's fed directly to some rendering hardware, or VLC is used as
an output.

Regards,

http://www.remlab.net/