[vlc-devel] Re: Help wanted for small (?) VLC development job

Adam Luker adam at integralitservices.com
Mon May 21 23:47:14 CEST 2007

[I _am_ subscribed, incidentally. :)]

>Secondly, I assume that the GPL can only apply to derivative
>work
>We do already have several plugins loading external non-free libraries:
>Quicktime, DirectMedia Object (not counting that VLC runs on many
>non-GPL C runtimes).
>I am not a lawyer, but I presume that non-free codecs are actually not
>subject to the GPL if they do not depend on VLC themselves and are
>dynamic linked through a GPL'd "glue" VLC plugin.

Yes, I looked at the existing codec modules (particularly the Quicktime
module) AND reviewed the GPL closely before sending out my request for help.
I am confident that since the closed-source codec in question is a
stand-alone, non-VLC-derived library, it does not fall under the
"must-be-GPL-also" sections of the GPL.  (IANAL either, but my
step-second-cousin-in-law used to date one.)