[vlc-devel] Re: Help wanted for small (?) VLC development job

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue May 22 11:34:43 CEST 2007

Hey,

On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:22:09 +0200, Jean-Paul Saman <jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:
>> We do already have several plugins loading external non-free libraries:
>> Quicktime, DirectMedia Object (not counting that VLC runs on many
>> non-GPL C runtimes).
>
> DMO, ActiveX, DirectX, DirectShow are part of the operating system and
> therefor don't count as derivative work.
Just a (stupid ?) question.

To me DirectShow, DMO and ActiveX API/Interfaces are not illegal, because they
don't count as derivate work and are generic. ActiveX is the new COM, so well, it
is more a discussion way to do it.

Why can't they create a DirectShow codec or a DMO codec and submit a GPL DirectShow
parser in VLC as Xine or MPlayer do?

Does anyone actually know a good FSF layer ?

--
jb, VideoLAN Team
http://www.jbkempf.com