[vlc-devel] multiple aout instances?

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Fri Nov 16 15:22:24 CET 2007

Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> oh, I see. How can I trigger such codec change? Would there be a
>> permanent object up the pipeline? Input maybe? Or could I maybe
>> reattach the audio_output while changing codecs if there is a single
>> scope where both old and new codecs are visible?
>>

> AFAICT, decoders are spawned by the ES OUT, which is controlled by
> the demultiplexer, which is controlled by the input.
>
> In any case, it is more of a question of how long an audio output
> can survive. Afterall, I could imagine vout and aout could survive
> multiple inputs - this may actually avoid some inconvient HW cracks
> and flickering when going from one playlist item to another.
> I just don't know this is actually handled in the output core.

Actually, there is a similar situation with the vout object when a DVD
is played as you switch between titles. In previous release of VLC, the
vout used to be destroyed and re-created in between those switches,
which was fairly noticeable. To alleviate that i believe, the vout is
kept in between title switch (or until a timeout to make sure it is
eventually destroyed), and would be reused if the vout properties are
the same as before the switch.

Damien