[vlc-devel] 0.8.6d Release schedule

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Nov 23 13:55:55 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:26:53 +0100, Rémi Duraffort <ivoire at via.ecp.fr>
wrote:
>> My own opinion is that this whole system should be removed, and the user
>> should just be warned that a new version is available, and download it
>> himself.
> The update system is really important for windows users because a lot of
> them don't do any update if there isn't any advice. (I'm speaking about
> "basics" users only)

So? I mean, it's their problem, not ours.

Besides, we now routinely loose the server for a few days every new
releases. Do we really want to make the situation worse?

Remember we will be doing more and more binary releases as security fixes
become more frequent. Also keep in mind that the development infra is on
the same box, and SVN becomes outright unusable eveytime we release.

> And if we provide a system to warned about upload, we can provide the
> download in the same time.

Arguable. VLC is not as good as real "download managers", especially, it
cannot fragment the download, or use multiple servers.
The main advantages of VLC are ease of use, and (if we ever do it)
improved security.

http://www.remlab.net