[vlc-devel] Windows binary size

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Nov 24 20:16:29 CET 2007

Hello everyone that cares a bit about windows builds.

For next release, what is the acceptable size of the windows package ?

Those days the .exe of the nightly is more around 13MB than it used to
be 9.2MB...

Why ?

Gcc4 gives bigger binaries. I don't think we want to go back from that,
do we ?

FFmpeg dll is now around 5.2MB uncompressed and might be a bit bigger in
the feature ( RV? )

lua, taglib etc... new modules with new dependencies

The bigger pb is Qt. Those days, the dll is around 6.9MB uncompressed,
but it uses Qt4.2, which has a few issues.

What I don't understand is that using the trolltech Qt4.3 .a files, which are
less big than mine (1.8M and 6.9M vs 2.2M and 8.3M) gives a bigger dll
(around 8.3M). Mine are for Qt4.2 but still it is a big increase.

So what is acceptable ? What can we do ? What should we do ?

Do we not care ? GIMP is 15M for Windows, but FFX is 5.6, OO.o is ...,
and MPC is 2.12M

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf