[vlc-devel] [RFC] freetype and video-title-show crashes

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Tue Oct 2 23:18:00 CEST 2007

Several people have mentioned a crash when the meta-name is shown on
start of the video. I believe it is due to loading of freetype2 text
renderer when the fontpath doesn't exist.

The freetype module starts another thread called FontBuilder and
depending on timing this creates a crash or works allright. The attached
patch tries to load the font first before the FontBuilder thread is started.

I was unable to reproduce the crash with the patch applied. Without the
patch the crash is reproducable.

However I don't think the solution as presented in this patch is the
correct one. Can someone with more knowledge (or one of the original
authors) of the freetype text-renderer module suggest a better way of
fixing this.

One question comes to mind must the FontBuilder thread be ran first or
must freetype be initialized and the font loaded first?

I hope for some helpfull comments.

gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.