[vlc-devel] [rms at gnu.org: VLC and V4L2]
bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Oct 4 07:18:06 CEST 2007
I would welcome any comment on this. I guess what we really lack here is
a developer willing to spend some time on it. Does anybody see anything
concrete the FSF can do to help? I remember some emails on this mailing
list about some people working on the v4l2 module. Did we get any feedback?
Writing a full support for all the v4l2 compatible devices might be a
rather big work, but even a basic support of some devices would be a
very nice first step.
Currently, the v4l2.c file only contains probing code. I'm not even sure
we really want to keep it. The pvr module probably also have useful
code for the access part.
What remains to be done is mostly:
- to split the module in an access and an access_demux
- complete the probing code
- write device selection, device configuration code (source, tuner
properties, v4l chroma to vlc FOURCC currespondance, etc)
- write the data reading routines (some devices use read calls on the
device node, some use ioctls)
- callbacks usable from a gui to get the device list (see direct show)
- probably lots of other things I forget. I worked on those more than 1
year ago, not exactly sure anymore about how all this works.
I'm afraid I won't be able to take this over. I can try to help anybody
having questions on the existing code, but again, it's not much and I
don't think there is a lot to say about it.
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded message was scrubbed...
From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
Subject: VLC and V4L2
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:04:08 -0400
More information about the vlc-devel