[vlc-devel] [RFC] input & metadata

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Mon Oct 8 01:06:50 CEST 2007

Laurent Aimar a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007, Rafaël Carré wrote:
>> That would rock if we could know when some metadata has become available
>> for an input.
>>
>> The current way is to use "meta-preparsed" variable created & set by the
>> input, USING A FLAG SET BY THE PLAYLIST.
>>
>> If metadata has been read BEFORE being preparsed by the playlist (for
>> example if we have a very long playlist) that fails.
>>
>> I propose to set the *input*'s "meta-preparsed" variable in the demuxers
>> after "meta reader" module has been called, or directly in "meta reader"
>> modules (i prefer that last one).
>  I am not sure to understand what you want here ?
>  If you talk about the rare case when playlist preparsing is done after input
> is created but before demux is instancied, then it's not something that will
> happen a lot and can be ignored.
>  If it is about flagging the input as preparsed after a demuxer has read it,
> then it is already done (see src/input/input.c: function InputUpdateMeta).

Well i think i miss input understanding.

I register a callback on "meta-preparsed" in audioscrobbler module, but
it will never be called if I play a file from the command line (i.e.
"vlc file:///some/path/to/x.mp3" )

but the callback was never called...

I need to read more src/input/* and see what's happening

I thought the p_item->i_status flag was set by the playlist preparsing
loop, and that it wouldn't happen when a file is added from the command
line.

Sorry for the disturbance, but I really have problems with input &
playlist code.

>  Otherwise I do not understand what you want.
>> Fenrir wasn't ok, see
>> http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2007-October/035339.html
>> but input is the direct parent of demuxer, so that would not be very
>> time consuming, nor difficult to maintain if well documented.
>  Input is not always the direct parent (for example the access_demux rtsp
> instanciate itself an asf demuxer)
>  Demuxer has been designed to be used without an input parent.
>  Now if you really need some input feedback to the demuxers, I will add
> the API for it, but I do not agree to make p_input availlable easily to
> demuxers, it is too easy to screw things up (like it was done in the

- --
Rafaël Carré