[vlc-devel] Google Summer of Code Summit

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Oct 8 18:33:59 CEST 2007

Hello,

Felix and I were this week end at the Google Summer of Code summit, and
it was great.

It was not only great because we have some cool new t-shirts ( :D ) but
mainly for two things:
* Discussions about the SoC in itself, so we learned all the problems
  from each other and we know what to avoid, and this was very
  interesting since it was our first year in the SoC project. More
  following...
* Discussions between the teams, there was some high concentration of
  open source projects there, and this was just beautiful. We had some
  nice talks with KDE folks ( about phonon and Qt4 ), with French people
  about legal problems, with Mixxx and Clam about cross-platform audio
  libraries to compile, with hugin about quicktime VR, with ffmpeg, with
  xmms... We will see what we can do to cooperate with them in the
  future.

About the SoC in itself, we propose to make it a bit stricter next year,
if we are selected by Google.
To get selected, a student would have to prove/show that he compiled a
VLC and made some small modifications, in order to avoid problmes of
students starting their project 2 weeks after everyone. We would also
ask more technical details about where the code would be modified/added,
and obligatory presence on IRC and Skype discussion with a mentor. This
might remove a few candidates, but might improve the quality.
During the summer, we ould ask one mail every week to the mentor and the
admin, and see the commits every week, except the first one, or with a
good explanation of why he didn't work (holidays). This would be better
to follow the actual work done and not done, and we would be able to
drop students earlier. If they don't respect this, then a few warnings
and drop.
This might be a bit harsh, but this may do less projects but better
quality.

About the number of slots, this year was a maximum, I think.

Your opinions?

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf