[vlc-devel] mux_wait [patch]

Jeff Hansen x at jeffhansen.com
Fri Oct 5 08:14:25 CEST 2007

Hello,

I've created a patch that adds a new "mux-wait" option to specify the
amount of time that VLC will wait for muxing to finish before declaring
the stream ready (or not ready).  This is required if you want to
distribute an incoming stream using, e.g. ASF muxing with H.264 video
and MP4A audio, and probably others.

My setup: Remote location (DirectX capture or file) ---> Distribution
server (http client) ---> Distribution server (http server) ---> Several
clients (http clients)

At remote location:

vlc -I rc --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=600,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=16,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=asf,dst=:1234}}'
x.mpeg

At distribution server:

vlc -I rc --sout '#duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=asf,dst=:1234}}'
http://remote_server:1234 --mux-wait 25000000 --http-caching 20000

Then everyone can connect to the distribution server to watch the feed
from the remote location.  This *will not* work unless you use the
attached patch because mux_wait (which is actually a hard-coded number
in the current code base) is only 1500000 (1.5 seconds), and it takes
longer than that for ASF demuxing to finish.

-Jeff Hansen