[vlc-devel] VLC integration into CenterStage

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Thu Oct 18 13:00:31 CEST 2007

Fabien Lydoire a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently the lead developer of the CenterStage project, a GPLv2
> mac media center project.
> http://centerstageproject.com/
>
> CenterStage is designed to use different video engines and we
> currently use 2 : ffmpeg and quicktime.
>
> We wish to use VLC as one of the video engine, using the brand new
> VLC OS X Framework.
> I already chatted with Pierre d'Herbemont (aka pdherbemont) and
> Enrique Osuna (aka riquedafreak) about the code.
> Everything is going well and Enrique managed to write the "wrapper"
> of VLC for CenterStage.

cool :)

> I wish we could use and provide in our svn a binary version of the
> VLC OS X Framework (you know guys how painfull it is to build), until
> the VLC project delivers the official one (I think it's for 0.9.1).

yeah that can be painfull :(

> I'm wondering how VLC should be presented in our website,
> particularly the use of the VLC brand and logo.
> Is there any restrictions ?

I don't think VLC is a trademark.

There is some logos on http://www.videolan.org/goodies.html and the
copyright notice says:

"""
You may freely use these VideoLAN logos using the following copyright:

Copyright (c) 1996-2004 VideoLAN. This logo or a modified version
may be used or modified by anyone to refer to the VideoLAN project
or any product developed by the VideoLAN team, but does not indicate
endorsement by the project.
"""

So in english that means you can use them with a link to videolan.org
saying the code is from VLC Media Player (that's the only thing we ask
when you provide binaries) to conform to the GPL (redistribution of the
source code).

There is even some blender sources, so feel free to put a customized
version (maybe with your logo).

> Do you have any suggestions ?

As long as you do it fairly there is no problem at all (and if you feel
it's fair, that's good).

> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Fabien

- --