[vlc-devel] [orbit at 0x63.nu: Re: regestering plugin from c code]

Christoffer Gurell orbit at 0x63.nu
Mon Oct 29 19:43:23 CET 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:02:33AM +0100, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> Le Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:47:36 +0100,
> Christoffer Gurell <orbit at 0x63.nu> a écrit :
>
> > Is there any way to register a video out plugin from c code so my
> > application can add its own plugin without having to add it to the
> > plugin directories?
> >
> > Also.. is there any documentation on writing your own plugins?
>
> The best (and maybe only) examples are the modules source themselves.
> Just copy one simple module, and modify it to your needs.

I will take a closer look at them then thanks.

> Linking to libvlc should do the trick, however you may need some
> headers that are only internal to vlc source.

I am not sure i follow you here. Creating my own video output plugin and
linking it to my program that uses libvlc will make vlc find it?

> You can copy these headers with your module, but be sure that they are
> the exact same used to compile the libvlc, to keep ABI compatibility.
>
> (The best way still remains putting your module in the VLC source tree)

What I really want is a way to get video rendered on opengl or direct3d
textures that i then can use any way i see fit in my main program. I have
done this with xine by creating a video out plugin but xine does not work
very well on windows so now i though i'd try vlc.
Any pointers on how to get started? what does the current opengl plugin
in vlc do?

 / Christoffer Gurell

----- End forwarded message -----