[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r22912 (funman)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Oct 30 19:38:53 CET 2007

> More generally, there are many reasons why VLC should not use "the Internet"
> automatically without user permission:
> - may screw up if network is not available,
> - may screw up stream output,
> - privacy,
> - network usage policy (such as inside corporate networks).
I really think this is right, especially the last two.

> This applies not only to art fetcher, but any kind of meta data Internet-based
> search, and also update check (which is currently commented out, but
> nevermind).
I do agree.

> IMHO, VLC GUIs should bring a "Don't show this question again" type of dialog
> at first start. These can then some "ask the question" configuration flag
> off, and write the proper settings to art fetcher et all.
What I suggest is, if no user config file, or first start, open the
preferences on the good tab to activate those options (art fetching,
meta-data fetching, update)

This might be a bit boring, but even WMP does that, and I really don't
like a software that goes on the net without my permission...

What does iTunes do?

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf