[vlc-devel] Patches to add support for speex codec in RTP

Hawkins, William - AES Will.Hawkins at itt.com
Fri Sep 7 15:26:51 CEST 2007

Good morning!

I would like to submit these patches that will add support to VideoLAN for sending/receiving a Speex encoded audio stream via RTP. The patches make changes to the following files:

speex.c: A new decoder function is written for Speex packets that are received via RTP.
live555.cpp: A change was made so that the audio/speex MIME type is recognized and properly handled during RTSP initialization.
rtp.c: A new output function was added to properly insert Speex content into RTP packets.
dec.c: A small change was made so that pre-existing audio output format information would be saved.
es_out.c: I used a -1 value for the i_extra field of the es_format_t structure to indicate that the Speex audio originated from an RTP stream. The modifications here ensure that a value of -1 does not start a deep copy of the data pointed to by p_extra.

I tried to follow the VLC coding conventions as best as possible. I am sure that there are things that more seasoned VLC developers will notice that I have done wrong. I welcome corrections and feedback. I hope that the community finds this useful. I am excited to work with everyone to get this code included in such a great open-source tool.

Thanks,
Will

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage
caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.