[vlc-devel] Releases plan?

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 21:19:34 CEST 2007

Hi Remi,

My suggestions are:

1. Stop doing enhancements.
2. Stop reorganizing the code. The changes to the
method names and splitting apart libvlc into two
libraries seemed very disruptive.
3. Stop updating libraries unless they fix something
major. I am guilty of this also for my project where I
wanted to update vlc dlls every week but decided to
hold off now till once every two months.
4. Provide the bindings output in the nightly builds
such as the jvlc.dll.
5. Break apart the executable into server and client
side. That should reduce build time and improve
productivity.
6. Make sure if you change the build process it works
for all developers (those who were able to work in
other tools) not just a few (I mean cygwin being
broken by getText).

Not every product is perfect that is what minor
releases are for. Major functional issues such as the
input and playlist should be fixed as much as
possible.
I can not comment on visual interfaces since I am
developing my own.

Regards,
-Tony