[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r22100 (courmisch)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Sep 16 15:06:38 CEST 2007

Le Sunday 16 September 2007 15:57:18 Subversion daemon, vous avez écrit :
> r22100 | courmisch | 2007-09-16 14:57:18 +0200 (Sun, 16 Sep 2007) | 4 lines
> Changed paths:
>    M /trunk/configure.ac
>
> Because we are selfish bastards (at least, I am), disable fast install
> mode by default. Packagers and build bots should re-enable it with:
> ./configure --enable-fast-install

This links executable against libraries inside the build tree instead of
installed libraries by default. It relinks the executable properly at "make
install". Until now it was the opposte: .libs/vlc was linked against the
installed libraries, and .libs/lt-vlc was linked against the local tree when
you first ran it from the tree.

You can go further by adding "no-install" to vlc_LDFLAGS in Makefile.am.
Then "./vlc" can be used directly with valgrind, gdb friends instead of the
akward "libtool --mode=execute valgrind ./vlc". But then it becomes
impossible to install VLC completely (it links to libvlc.so in the build tree
instead of $(prefix)/lib).

http://www.remlab.net/