[vlc-devel] VLC and Windows

Bill Dolson bd at landform.com
Fri Sep 21 20:24:02 CEST 2007

> It's not the point.
> We're not talking about the users, or about stopping Windows support.
> It's all about compilation.

My point is that there are Windows users who want/need to compile.  I
feel that if you do not support Windows compilation you are really not
supporting Windows.  And I am sure this us by far your largest user base
(a sad fact indeed).

> MSYS is a UNIX emulation, as well as cygwin, and both seem to cause
> problems.
> So I propose to change the layer, by emulating the hardware machine, and
> install a real UNIX system to *compile*

So long as it is stable, stable, and stable.  I have no experience with
the specific emulator you mentioned.  I'm afraid of adding another layer
of complexity.  I almost would rather just use my Linux box and cross
compile like the developers.  Considering that for when I merge with the
trunk.  In the mean time it is just a PITA to constantly go back and
forth between boxes.

> That's the problem, noone wants to maintain cygwin/msys environments.
> While the patches you make at your home are not integrated in the trunk,
> loads of windows users, who "are just key-stabbing morons who are too
> stupid to handle a Linux install" are failing to build VLC, and ask for
> an help they don't get.

There was little if any patching required to get an Msys build, mostly
finding errors or omissions on the wiki.

> Come on let's help them, by providing a CLEAN and WELL TESTED as well as
> MAINTAINED build environment, UNIX.

If it works and is stable I'm all for it.  Has anyone actually gone
through the exercise of trying it and doing a build on the emulator?  Is
it "should work" or "does work"?  I also have some concerns about
emulator compilation speed.  If someone does some spade work I'll
test/use it.  For sure Msys is obsolete and Cygwin is what it is.

> I tried once both environments and built successfully vlc with both.
> So I don't know how they are maintained today, and how difficult it is
> to build VLC in it.
>
> Maybe you can put it clear on the wiki that MSYS is dead ?

I think that would be a mistake until there is a stable, documented
alternative.  Adding some caveats to the wiki might be appropriate, as
in "don't try this for fun...  unless you are an experienced
developer...  don't ask us for help...  something new is coming..."

Thanks,
Bill