[vlc-devel] Uho! strerror...

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sat Sep 22 20:38:01 CEST 2007

Le Monday 17 September 2007 21:21:31 Rémi Denis-Courmont, vous avez écrit :
> As you can see, that's going to be very fun. But don't hold your breath -
> the real fun will be fixing the underlying libraries (e.g. live),
> especially since we do not have use rcontrib on Linux. Now, that looks
> really fun.

I have removed pretty much every strerror() calls in the entire VLC, all
replaced with strerror_r(). This seems to have reduced the frequency of
gettext crashes, but not nearly removed them :-(

There would seem to be something very very fishy between the gettext exit()
handler and some heap-allocated translated strings inside LibVLC. But I have
not quite been able to determine what the problem really is. Not at all. This
is driving me mad. I am getting pretty desperate at that point.

If I judge by how often these crashes occur, if no one else takes care of
this, the only option will be to disable NLS completely on Linux. If this
goes on, I will be the next one to jump ship.

http://www.remlab.net/