[vlc-devel] Cross-compiling on Ubuntu for Windows

Milind Dhobe MDhobe at indigoarchitects.com
Thu Sep 27 14:36:13 CEST 2007

Hi All,

            I am new to this mailing-list and also to VLC development.
My problem is very basic but I am stuck here very badly.

            I have been trying to cross compile VLC-0.8.6c on Ubuntu
using mingw32 since last three days. I have followed all the steps given
in Cross-Compile guide on VideoLan wiki site.

            I tried using precompiled libraries and then compile the VLC
with i586-mingw32msvc, but no success. Also, I tried /extras/contrib.
directory to use as a library folder. I tried cross-compiling these
libraries but there was 'Rejects in Saving .rej files". I handled those
manually, but then build failed in finding some file.

As a last attempt I used precompiled libraries and VLC-0.8.6b, but VLC
build is failing at 'Configure' stage only. It gives the error as
"Sanity check failed". I followed all the steps to resolve this issue,
but it is giving same problem for both VLC-0.8.6c and VLC-0.8.6b.

            Anyways, either I am doing something wrong or there is a
problem with settings on my system(Compiler and other stuff).

            I would really appreciate if somebody email me the document
for cross-compiling VLC on Ubuntu (Linux) for Windows using
i586mingw32msvc.

            Also, if it is not possible to cross-compile the way I am
trying, I have to shift VLC development on Windows where I have to use
Cygwin for compilation. Before that I want to know which is the most
widely used development environment for VLC development? And How the
Windows and Linux environment is set?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Milind G. Dhobe

Indigo Architects