[vlc-devel] DCCP support in VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Sep 28 17:25:58 CEST 2007

Le Friday 28 September 2007 14:33:51 Gerrit Renker, vous avez écrit :
> When the Reset closing the connection arrives, the same shutdown mask is
> set as in TCP. What I thus think you could do as a
> test-for-end-of-connection is to test whether the socket descriptor is
> still read/writeable.

If it works like TCP, shutdown-for-recv will make the socket always readable,
and will not affect writeability at all, since the sending half may still be
open. As such, I don't think it will solve the problem.

Currently, I am assuming that length == 0 means end-of-connection, because I
only use RTP/RTCP, so zero bytes is not a valid packet length. But that's a
little bit ugly.

Other than that, and apart from pending DCCP service code support I am happy
to announce that the official VLC development tree now support DCCP
out-of-the-box with RTP.

Manually, on the sender (assuming sender IP is 2001:db8::1):
$ vlc -vv /dev/dvd \
--sout '#rtp{dccp,mux=ts,port=5004}'

On the receiver:
$ vlc -vv dccp://[2001:db8::1]:5004

Or advertized with SAP, on the sender:
$ vlc -vv /dev/dvd \
--sout '#rtp{dccp,mux=ts,port=5004,dst=2001:db8::1,sdp=sap,name=MyDVD}'

On the receiver, enable SAP service discovery and click MyDVD from the
playlist.

We cannot support multiple streams per session, because the live555 library
does not support DCCP at this time. But TS multiplexing works great anyway.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.remlab.net/