[vlc-devel] libvlc status? [BIS]

Tanguy Krotoff tkrotoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 16:53:36 CEST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Pierre d'Herbemont
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
>  > The real feature that blocks me now is to load informations from
>  > media_descriptor without having to play the file.
>  > Like a load_media_descriptor() function and then I can use get_meta(),
>  > get_duration() and stuffs.
>  > I guess it is not simple to implement and I'm not good enough with vlc
>  > core source code :/
>  > Or somebody can tell me where I have to look so I can try...
>
>  Currently libvlc_media_get_meta() triggers preparse_if_needed(), which
>  will then asynchronously fill the meta information, and send event as
>  they get them.
>
>  I felt like it was enough. But I do understand that a blocking _load()
>  that would ensure that all the meta where fetched could be better. Is
>  that what is needed?

It's ok, I don't really need a blocking _load().
Still I have a lot of difficulties to use get_meta()
Which event should I way for so I'm sure the media is loaded/parsed?
What is the algorithm/steps I should use so it works?

The best would be to create a kind of "libvlc_MediaParsingFinished"
and then call libvlc_media_get_meta():

media_load() --> non blocking, launches the media parsing
wait for libvlc_MediaParsingFinished event
call media_get_meta()

And everything (of course) without calling media_player_play()

>  >>> I have almost 1000 lines of code because of this... cf
>  >>> http://smplayer.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smplayer/experimental/phonon-vlc/vlc_symbols.h?revision=1020&view=markup
>  >>> and others
>  >>
>  >>  Do you think you could provide that?
>  >
>  > Provide the code to load libvlc-control.so/.dll at runtime?
>  > It's here (sourceforge svn) but it depends on C++/Qt + it is not the
>  > clean way to go (it's better to provide .lib/.dll/.pdb if possible).
>
>  Well, if you feel like doing it that would be awesome.

I still don't understand what you want ;)
Do you want:
1 - libvlc-control.lib, libvlc-control.pdb... (.ie a vlc-sdk.zip for windows)

2 - code that loads libvlc-control.dll/.so at runtime
I can do that, but it depends on C++/Qt, I need to change it to plain C...

Anyway, as I told you, the best is to create a
vlc-sdk-win32-snapshot.zip in complement of vlc-win32-snapshot.zip
every night by configuring buildbot + make package target.

--
Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com>
+33 6 68 42 70 24