[vlc-devel] libvlc status? [BIS]

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Tue Apr 1 18:55:55 CEST 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:

>> Which event should I way for so I'm sure the media is loaded/parsed?

Listen to libvlc_MediaMetaChanged, and get the meta from this event/

>> What is the algorithm/steps I should use so it works?
>>
>> The best would be to create a kind of "libvlc_MediaParsingFinished"
>> and then call libvlc_media_get_meta():
>>
>> media_load() --> non blocking, launches the media parsing
>> wait for libvlc_MediaParsingFinished event
>> call media_get_meta()

We have to keep in mind that some meta may not interest the one who
call load. For instance art work fetching can be really intensive.
Currently, what you do is:
- listen to metaChanged event
- ask get_meta(Album) get_meta(Artist), etc.
Some may not be empty, some others may
- meta callback is called, and the guest program has to handle the meta.

Note, currently core treat files and remote media very differently
regarding preparsing. Remote media may need a play, before getting the
meta. That would need a fix in core vlc if I recall well.

Pierre.