[vlc-devel] [Patch] fix for VolumeBar in Toolbar, compatible to wxwidgets 2.8

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Sun Apr 6 13:59:52 CEST 2008

Hi,

As you know, when compiling vlc 0.8.6 and also 0.9.0 against wxwidgets
2.8, the volume bar and the speaker icon in the toolbar are mis-aligned.

Together with the wxwidgets team we found that there seems to be a
problem when positioning custom controls in the toolbar. The solution
was to get rid of the customn control (which was just a combination of
a bmp tool and a wxGauge) and put the two objects independent in the
toolbar.

There patch strips out the VLCVolCtrl Class (no longer needed) and
places a bmp tool and a wxSlider in the Toolbar (I replaced the
wxGauge; wxSlider is actually more what correct for this use case, and
in plus, wxGauge does not have any Events, as it's meant as an
'output' only.

When the slider is moved completely to the left, the speaker bmp is
changed to speaker_mute_xpm.

The patch is for 0.8.6f, I'll work on a patch for 0.9.0 today.. I
assume there should not be much differences, considering the fact that
not much changes were done on wxwidgets for 0.9.0, due to missing
maintainer.

Maybe this patch could go in a upcoming 0.8.6x version tree (should
there be any). (I did not yet test the patch against wxwidgets 2.6,
but considering that there are only standard widgets used, this should
not be to much of an issue, (praying for it)

Dominique