[vlc-devel] Application for Apple Design Awards

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:22:36 CEST 2008

Hello all,

Back in June 2003, VLC 0.5.3 was the runner up for the Apple Design
Awards [1].

Since yesterday, Apple announced the Apple Design Awards 2008.
Application deadline is May 12. [2]

Judging VLC realistically[3], there would be two categories to apply
for us:
Best Mac OS X Leopard Student Product
And more importantly:
Best Mac OS X Leopard Graphics and Media Application

In my opinion, an application would greatly make sense if we finish
VLC 0.9.0 in time for the deadline (as no pre-release versions are
allowed for the latter category). VLC 0.9.0 is obviously a huge step
forward compared to 0.5.3 and should have good chances to be mentioned
notably or even win.

What do you guys think? Would you be interested to apply? Do you think
it is realistic to have 0.9.0 finished by then?

More information on everything can be found on [2] and I would be glad
to answer any questions if needed.

Best,
Felix

[1] http://www.videolan.org/events/
[2] http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/ada/
[3] No, "Best Mac OS X Leopard User Experience" isn't really our kind
of game.