[vlc-devel] Wish to contribute to Playlist and Media Library development

Jean-Philippe ANDRÉ jpeg at videolan.org
Thu Apr 24 14:01:34 CEST 2008

Le Wed, Apr 23, 2008, Peter Krausche a écrit :
> Thanks for your prompt response. I downloaded the 0.8.6f source and
> also browsed the current source in Git to get a bit of an overview. Of
> course it'll take a while to really find my way around with a project
> of this size. I've also taken a look at the overview (source tree,
> etc.) in the wiki. Very intriguing!<br>
> Now for a few questions: <br>
> Should I always use the mailing list for my communications, or is it
> advisable to contact some people directly? <br>

I you want to talk about technical points, this mailing list is
appropriate, or IRC.

> What do you do with all the mails that come in through the mailing
> list? At the moment, I'm filtering them all into a separate folder.
> Wouldn't a developer's forum be more manageable?<br>

I believe most people use like this filters and separated folders or
mailboxes to sort their mails. I you don't do like this, you may feel
spammed by vlc-devel ;)

> >From what you wrote below, I suppose the two people I need to be in
> touch with most right now are you and Rafaël Carré (funman). Is there
> anything specific you think I should take a look at?<br>
> I haven't found the media library support in the source yet. Could you
> point me in the right direction to get me started? <br>

Antoine Lejeune, Rémi Duraffort and I are working on an SQL-based Media
Library module for VLC. It looks like that's exactly what you want to
do. So maybe you want to contact us (IRC: phytos, ivoire and j-peg).
We're not VLC-experts like jb, pdherbemont, funman and the others, but
maybe we can help (or you can help us :p)

If you want to have a look at the current media library in VLC 0.9, then
compile the git version, and have a look at the playlist API.
Maybe the Doxygen documentation will also help you :
http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc/doc/doxygen/html/group__vlc__playlist.html

> At the moment, I'm still working on a Windows XP system, although I'm
> planning on installing a second boot for Linux very soon (I'm afraid
> I'll probably still need the Windows boot for a while). From what I
> read in the documentation, Cygwin is what I need for VLC development on
> Windows. I usually work with eclipse, but I'll look into Cygwin as soon
> as possible.<br>
> Sorry, but I'm not much of a messaging person, so you probably won't
> find me on IRC. I'll just stick to mails and forums. ;-)<br>

Hmm, if you really want to stay in touch, or contact people directly and
quickly, I think IRC is the right place to do so. But of course, if you
prefer mail, nobody can force you... But it would be nice to speak
"directly" :)

And, please, don't send HTML messages, because many developpers use mutt
or other console mail clients, and they hate HTML mails (you may get
quicker answers with plain text mails ;-) )

Thank you for your interest in VLC,

--
Jean-Philippe André - JPeg