[vlc-devel] Chillout and many thanks!

Angelo Difino angelo.difino at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 12:33:38 CEST 2008

Dear all gstreamer/vlc/jmf users,
we're happy to inform that Chillout (http://chillout2.dmpf.org/) is fully
integrated with yours media frameworks!!!

Chillout (http://chillout.dmpf.org), released in Open Source (Mozilla Public

License 1.1), is the reference implementation of the Digital Media Project's

(http://www.dmpf.org/) Interoperable DRM Platform
(http://www.dmpf.org/open/dmp1100.pdf) specification. It is also the ISO/IEC

21000-5 Media streaming Application Format reference software.
Chillout is a Java middleware on top of which DRM applications serving the
various users in a digital media value chain can be easily developed. A
number of such applications (the Content Creation Device, the End-User
Device, the License Provider Device, the Content Provider Device, and many
more) are also part of the platform, allowing users to create, render,
stream etc. MPEG-21 content. Chillout will also be used in the WIM TV trial
at Beijing Olympics (http://www.dmpf.org/open/dmp1166.doc)

We're planning to integrate Chillout to "any" generic media frameworks (jmf,

vlc, gstreamer, qtjava?...) to "any" platforms ("wim32", "mac", "linux",
...), by
means of a common media framework API that is still in the process of being
refined (elementary stream filtering, watermark support, transoding ...).
Please
have a look to our wiki guide and our mailing list if you need any
explanation
and further information. Chillout is also going to play a role in the
definition of
the emerging MPEG eXtensible Middleware (MXM) standard (see
http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/visions/mxm/index.htm for the vision and
http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/working_documents/explorations/mxm/mxm-pt1.zip

and
http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/working_documents/explorations/mxm/mxm-pt2.zip

for the current working drafts). Any comments and contributions are more
than
appreciated!!!.

Finally, we'd like to thank you guys for the support you gave us in the past

and for the great work you done (also for the Java binding you provided).

Keep in touch,
best regards,
Angelo