[vlc-devel] commit: Use msg_{Create,Destroy} only 1 time ( Rafaël Carré )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Aug 4 13:48:58 CEST 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:30:29 +0200, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008, git version control wrote:
>> vlc | branch: 0.8.6-bugfix | Rafaël Carré <rcarre at m2x.nl> | Mon Aug  4
> 11:50:53 2008 +0200| [7ee81e13baa7e6a07724735debd2a9a832e6fdff] |
> committer: Rafaël Carré
>>
>> Use msg_{Create,Destroy} only 1 time
>>
>> This fixes a reentrancy problem with libvlc
>> This was experimented when using 2 plugins instance on a mozilla browser
>  This cannot work without a lock(or a spinlock) or using atomic
> operation...

Indeed. And I wonder why this troll still has direct commit access in the
first place.

Note that there are no static spinlocks in POSIX (there might be on
Windows, though we don't implement spinlocks on Windows at all currently).
And atomic ops/spin locks would be inappropriate considering that
msg_Create() & msg_Destroy() are not necessarily fast