[vlc-devel] Small utility to add RTP headers to raw UDP MPEG-TS

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Aug 11 14:40:56 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:23:10PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:18:02 +0200, Christophe Massiot <massiot at via.ecp.fr>
> wrote:
> > Same for everyone - I doubt somebody actually uses the RTP timestamp in
> > a TS application.
>
> Yeah. The very RTP payload format spec from IETF says that you should use
> the PCR from the inner MPEG Transport Stream rather than the RTP timestamp.
>
> However, incorrect RTP timestamps will screw up RTP jitter computations, if
> the receiver does de-jitter at RTP level.

I think for de-jitter purposes the wall clock should be sufficient -
provided that there's no network jitter between the encoder and rtpstream.
Yes there will still be random jitter caused by OS scheduler etc, but given
the number of packets per second this should be statistically unimportant.

    With kind regards,

         M.