[vlc-devel] Testing the VLC Nightly Build

komputes komputes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:25:20 CEST 2008

(Sorry if this mail comes in duplicates)

I just tested the i386 nightly build for Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. The version
is 0.9.0-test3 Grishenko. I have a few things that I would like to see
fixed.

1) User Interface - volume and play button should remain the same size
as other buttons.

2) User Interface - Playing Video Fullscreen: Preferences option to take
off the on screen display of buttons to control the video.

3) User Interface - I have lost all drag and drop functionality.
Dragging files to the playlist does not add them to the playlist.

4) Video Capture device shows as wrong color (mostly purple). Device ID:
[046d:08a9 Logitech, Inc.] The actual device  is a Logitech QuickCam for
Notebooks Deluxe.

5) Transcoding - I have an issue converting FLV -> MPEG-4 and I wonder
if I should create a bug for that. I posted the issue on the forums:
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49027
I was told by feepk, a fellow developer that I want to try out 0.9.0
pre-release build since it includes various fixed on Flash processing.

I downloaded the Ubuntu Hardy I386 version using the instructions from
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

With this version I can no longer transcode. The transcoder adds the
task to the playlist, and play the task which it names "Streaming", but
the "progress" bar does not move and there is no outputs no file! The
program does not request an output file name. I tried to convert an FLV
Video to MP4/ACC and I tried the iPod preset. As you can see in these
presets theres is nothing concerning an output file:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp1v,vb=800,scale=0.25,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2}
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=800,scale=0.25,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2}

With the help of feepk I manually changed that to fit a path on my
computer user (ubuntu) to be used for the output file.

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024,acodec=mp4a,ab=192}:standard{mux=mp4,dst=/home/ubuntu/Desktop/test.mp4,access=file}

This still did not work and when I tried transcoding a file
(flashvideo.flv). The output file (test.mp4) was 201 bytes. I looked at
the messages saw the following errors.

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file ""/home/ubuntu/Desktop/flashvideo.flv" ".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL '"/home/ubuntu/Desktop/flashvideo.flv" '.
Check the log for details.

Please feel fee if you would like more detailed debugging information or
testing on my part.

Thanks,

-komputes