[vlc-devel] Crash nightly-build on windows 2000

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Aug 13 18:09:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 05:56:18PM +0200, MailingListe wrote :
> the newest nightly build of vlc (vlc 0.9.0) crash on a clean windows
> 2000 install when trying to open files. Opening directories work fine.
> The error is (in german) : "Prozedureinsprungspunkt freeaddrinfo wurde
> in DLL WS2_32.DLL nicht gefunden"
> I think the standard Windows 2000 WinSock2 lack some extension which
> might be in Windows XP??

"The freeaddrinfo function was added to the Ws2_32.dll on Windows XP and
later. To execute an application using this function on earlier versions
of Windows (Windows 2000, Windows NT, and Windows Me/98/95), then you
must include the Ws2tcpip.h file and also include the Wspiapi.h file.
When the Wspiapi.h include file is added, the freeaddrinfo function is
defined to the WspiapiFreeAddrInfo inline function in the Wspiapi.h
file. At runtime, the WspiapiFreeAddrInfo function is implemented in
such a way that if the Ws2_32.dll or the Wship6.dll (the file containing
freeaddrinfo in the IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000) does
not include freeaddrinfo, then a version of freeaddrinfo is implemented
inline based on code in the Wspiapi.h header file. This inline code will
be used on older Windows platforms that do not natively support the
freeaddrinfo function."

Well, yes, you are probably right :D

Best Regards,

--