[vlc-devel] commit: Merge branch 'codecleanup' of git://repo.or.cz/vlc/pdherbemont ( Pierre d'Herbemont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Fri Aug 15 18:22:32 CEST 2008

Le vendredi 15 août 2008 01:56:23 git version control, vous avez écrit :
> vlc | branch: master | Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at videolan.org> | Fri
> Aug 15 00:59:10 2008 +0200| [75348facc56350e53eb336252c496876a5d04c09] |
> committer: Pierre d'Herbemont
>
> Merge branch 'codecleanup' of git://repo.or.cz/vlc/pdherbemont

The main, if not the only, point of merging rather rebasing is merged branch
history preservation. That is useful if the merged branch is being worked on
through more than one checkout - rebasing would screw up "downstream"
branches. In particular, if a branch is being worked on by a single
developper, and mostly from a single checkout, there is not much point in
ever merging into the official tree instead of rebasing.

I know merging looks cool and it not-so-discretely advertizes own's git repo
URL, but... it is also a pain for bisection.

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary