[vlc-devel] [RFC] autosaving config options.

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Aug 25 17:01:55 CEST 2008

I see this has been problematic for over a year.
Biggest problem: "Saving of options that people don't expect to be
autosaved"

I think we need to change how this operates, it's annoying for people
that don't want their commandline options saved.
My proposal:

1: we remove change_autosave() from the core.
2: we introduce something like config_SetAutoSave( optionname, true/
false) This option will set the flag that change_autosave() used to set.

The advantage is that Interfaces/modules determine wether a option
needs to be saved. Like this, you can use --loop from the console and
have it as a "one-time-option" if you use dummy,rc,ncurses,http or
whatever, but at the same time, the Qt4 or Macosx interfaces can set
"loop" to autosave and it would be saved if one of those interfaces is
used.

This seems much less dangerous to me, then what we see now, though it
still isn't perfect of course (--loop on the commandline will still be
saved whenever you use qt4 or macosx interface.)
If anyone has another idea, then I'd love to hear them.

DJ