[vlc-devel] [RFC] autosaving config options.

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Aug 26 08:45:54 CEST 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:00:22 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman <hartman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> You want to expose the config item->saved (Currently only item->value
> is exposed) ? So that the preferences of Qt4 and OSX would only show
> the Saved values, instead of the "current values" ? Such that when you
> change the preferences and save them, only the original values are
> saved, and not something that was changed on the fly ?

Yes. One problem nowadays is that you may end up "saving the command line"
if you save the preferences.

>> And then, there's the persistent lack of clear policy for using
>> config_* vs
>> var_*.
>
> gibalou was gonna merge the two at one time. But he never described
> how that would be done. Since it didn't happen, everyone started using
> config_Put again to save options.

I fail to see why we should change config_Put*. However, we COULD use
var_Create/var_Get for command line options, and get rid of the "current
configuration" altogether. That brings us to my real problem with config_.*
vs var_.*: there is no consistent policy for using config_Get* or
var_CreateGet*

> Oh, and then we STILL need a way to make command-line options
> unsaveable .......
> By creating/setting variables at libvlc object level I guess, instead
> of changing the values of the config itself.

Yes. But then we need to replace all config_Get* invocations with
var_(Create)Get, with the preferences UI being the only exception.