[vlc-devel] spaces in filenames for transcoding and dumping to files

Steven Woolley woobert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 17:00:12 CEST 2008

Hi guys, I know this is the dev list, but I'm simply not getting the signup
emails no matter which email address I use to sign up on the vlc-users list,
so I'll ask here:
I'm trying to transcode audio from a mms stream to output to a file that has
spaces in its path (on windows, haven't confirmed on other OS's but I
asssume its the same.  Basically, the command I'm running is:

C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe -vvv --intf telnet mms://mystreamurl
--sout=#transcode{ab=64,acodec=mp3,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:standard{access=file,mux=raw,dst="C:\Documents
and Settings\wooo\Application
Data\ooTunes\Caches\64-894E7FF6F415F3B2-1r6kosdi6e82u"} vlc:quit

(all on the same line of course)

The problem is that dst= has spaces in the filenames so vlc gives me:

[00000307] main private debug: set sout option: sout-standard-dst to
C:\Documents
[00000307] stream_out_standard private debug: creating
`file/raw://C:\Documents'
[00000307] stream_out_standard private debug: using
`file/raw://C:\Documents'

and treats the other stuff broken up by space tokens as playlist input
items.

The crazy thing is that if I just paste that stuff above into a .bat file
and put in quotes the vlc.exe path and url, with no change to the dst= line,
it works!  However, spawning it from another program as a raw command with
args fails!

I've tried changing the dst to be quoted with \"filepath\" with
\""filepath"/" with "\"filepath"\" and with 'filepath' and nothing works
(and some of those break it even if there are no spaces!

So, how exactly do I use a filename with a path with spaces for dumping the
transcoded stream???

Is there a better commandline switch to use (something like
-=outfile="filename" or is there something about quoting the spaces that I
need to do (ie C:\Documents\ and\ Settings)?  This is on 8.6 but I'll need
to get it working on both 8.6 and 9.0 so if it's changed, that would be nice
to know too!  Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Steve