[vlc-devel] VLC 0.8.6 end of support

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Aug 31 22:38:43 CEST 2008

	Hello everyone,

Following up on the early August notice, I am sorry to inform or remind you
that the VLC version 0.8.6 revision releases process is now to its end, after
over a year and a half.

It has become increasingly difficult and time consuming to maintain VLC 0.8.6,
and we anyway need to refocus our scarce and variable resources on
maintaining VLC 0.9.x and further developping VLC 1.0. At this point in time,
there are no plans for VLC 0.8.6j and further formal revision releases. We
will continue to accept and apply critical fixes to the 0.8.6 tree for the
benefit of "downstream" integrators and distributors, as source code only.

Note that there are widely published security issues with VLC 0.8.6i. If not
already done, please upgrade to VLC 0.9.x or apply the fixes from the 0.8.6
source tree.

Sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for your interest,
Best regards,