[vlc-devel] Pulseaudio surround sound patch

Danny Wood danwood76 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:20:32 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 05:03:45PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>/ Le mercredi 3 décembre 2008 16:54:50 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
/>/ > I am just forwarding a question from IRC:
/>/ >
/>/ > "Does pulseaudio work with 7.1?"
/>/
/>/ And can it accept 32-bits float as input (VLC's native audio format) instead
/>/ of 16-bits PCM?

I've just tested with 32-bit float and this works perfectly (I can see its 32-bit float in the pulseaudio debug output).
I think pulse can accept up to 32 audio channels, I have added a 7.1 section to the pulse output but I don't have any source material to test it with.

Forcing ss.channels = 8 causes pulse to open up a 7.1 channel stream so I assume it works,
though I do need someone to test as I only have 5.1 speaker setup anyway.

Attached is an updated patch from the original 0.9.4 source incorporating these two updates.

kind regards,
Danny
/ <http://www.jbkempf.com/>