[vlc-devel] commit: Removed unused STOP_S input state. (Laurent Aimar )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Sat Dec 6 17:32:07 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> git version control wrote:
> > vlc | branch: master | Laurent Aimar <fenrir at videolan.org> | Thu Dec  4 22:36:37 2008 +0100| [f593c8f08cdb4bba1f078586cbe8b1fcb0fc4532] | committer: Laurent Aimar
> >
> > Removed unused STOP_S input state.
> >
> >  The associated libvlc_MediaPlayerStopped and libvlc_Stopped value could
> > probably be removed (not done as I do not know the maintainer opinion).
> >

> Users of the webplugins Safari/Firefox/IE ActiveX and even libvlc want
> to be able to see the status of vlc media player. They want to be able
> to distinguish between:
>
> - error condition
> - buffering
> - stopped
> - paused
> - playing
>
> They use this information to give feedback to users that something is
> happening and use it to update their JavaScript buttons and other
> information.
>
> I think we need to provide that information to users that want to
> leverage it in their applications.

 I agree, but at the input level mixing pay/pause state with buffering is not
the right way.
 You can be buffering while paused or playing, "cache" variable will inform when
caching is performed.
 The STOP_S state was useless (and unused), END_S should be used instead.

 At the libvlc API level, I do not know the API enough to comment, that's why I
did not removed them.

--
fenrir