[vlc-devel] reenabling java bindings

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Dec 15 09:14:08 CET 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:08:49 +0100, Olivier Aubert
<olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> It is not undoable, but looks hackish to me: since plugins use symbols
> from libvlccore, we should simply link them with libvlccore, not rely on
> user code to do that.

That's not a point to me.

It would work if libvlccore was a proper underlying library to each and
every plugin. It's not; it simply is _not_. That's the whole point: if you
link a plugin against libvlccore, and then load it from another
version/image of libvlccore, KABOOM.

Libvlccore is (currently) not an underlying library, it's a set of
callbacks. You don't normally link against a library that provides
callbacks. Instead of our old brittle custom "symbols table" form 0.8 and
earlier, we are leveraging the linker nicely provided by the OS.

If someone wants to turn libvlccore into a nice and clean underlying
library for plugins, such that the shared object mismatch crashes would not
occur, (s)he's welcome to try. This far, I have not seen any proposal to
doing so however.

> I would be curious to have explicit references to such "multiple reports
> of obnoxious crashes due to that". Not that I question your affirmation,
> but I would like to investigate the issue to better understand its
> whereabouts.

I have better use of my time than browse trac and the mailing list
archives.