[vlc-devel] Assertion failure in VLC 1.0.0 Win32

ken kenself at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 16 12:31:07 CET 2008

Whilst testing changes to bda module for DVB-S handling we kept having
program crashes. To keep testing we rebuilt the module for vlc 0.9.8 and
tested that way with no problems.
Now that the bda module has again stabilised I started to investigate
the problem in 1.0.0
The crash is not always identical but I get the following popup error
message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Assertion failed!
Program: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
File: misc/threads.c
Line: 337
Expression: p_mutex->initialized
For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see
the Visual C++ documentation on asserts
(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)
Abort Retry Ignore

Relevant log file attached. Each run gives slightly different symptoms
but more than a couple of times I have observed corrupted text in the
FindFilter message in the log. Assuming this to be an artefact I put in
a long wait (20s) to avoid conflict between threads and the text was not
corrupted this time. But I also got an extra popup:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime error!
Program: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual
way.

Line 337 in misc/threads.c is in vlc_mutex_destroy()
I have no idea how this part of vlc works so can anyone help. Is this a
known bug in 1.0.0?

In my particular test I am tuning to an invalid frequency so no stream
is being received forcing the capture to time out. I assume this is what
leads to the call to vlc_mutex_destroy()