[vlc-devel] Assertion failure in VLC 1.0.0 Win32

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Dec 16 20:56:32 CET 2008

Le mardi 16 décembre 2008 13:31:07 ken, vous avez écrit :
> Relevant log file attached. Each run gives slightly different symptoms
> but more than a couple of times I have observed corrupted text in the
> FindFilter message in the log. Assuming this to be an artefact I put in
> a long wait (20s) to avoid conflict between threads and the text was not
> corrupted this time. But I also got an extra popup:
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Runtime error!
> Program: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
> The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual
> way.

I assume this the "normal" consequence of calling abort(). Then it should
always occur after VLC fails an assert()-ion, since standard C always abort
upon assertion failure.

> Line 337 in misc/threads.c is in vlc_mutex_destroy()
> I have no idea how this part of vlc works so can anyone help. Is this a
> known bug in 1.0.0?
>
> In my particular test I am tuning to an invalid frequency so no stream
> is being received forcing the capture to time out. I assume this is what
> leads to the call to vlc_mutex_destroy()

Unfortunately, without a backtrace, it is fairly helpless (to me). Who is
calling vlc_mutex_destroy()?

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary