[vlc-devel] Kate rendering patch rebased to latest git

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 20 10:58:17 CET 2008

> VLC has lock-free (atomic) reference counting through
> vlc_gc_init/vlc_hold/vlc_release. Is there any reason why you're using
> a custom scheme?

The lock is also used to lock the rendering code using the data
in the decoder_sys_t.
Using the vlc_gc_* API would still need the lock for these uses,
and would need extra locking anyway to ensure the object can't
be released while the lock is held by the rendering, so I think the
existing locking should be kept.
Any counter argument, apart from the existence of the vlc_gc_*
API, for changing the locking ?