[vlc-devel] reported errors on building host

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Mon Dec 22 00:15:45 CET 2008

Hi list,

on my buildhost there are some new code reviewing mechanisms in place,
which normally help improve the quality of code.
It triggers on typical warnings from the compiler log and gives small
reports.

For vlc 1.0 (current git master) I get the following report:

I: Program returns random data in a function
E: vlc-beta no-return-in-nonvoid-function atmo.cpp:1828
E: vlc-beta no-return-in-nonvoid-function menus.cpp:140

I: Program causes undefined operation
(likely same variable used twiceand post/pre incremented in the same
expression).
e.g. x = x++; Split it in two operations.
E: vlc-beta sequence-point AtmoConfig.cpp:131

The one from menus.cpp I submitted a patch to the list.
The other two I seem not really able to figure out what's going on.

E: vlc-beta no-return-in-nonvoid-function atmo.cpp:1828
The compiler warns about a function being defined as non-void not having
a return value. From what I can see the function is declares as static
void. Maybe somebody with better skills can have a look at this?

The 3rd one I posted already in the IRC channel, and xtophe mentioned it
could not be correct.
so AtomConfig.cpp, line 131 reads
tChannelAssignment *temp = temp = new tChannelAssignment;

There I'm not sure what a correct fix would be neither.

So, sorry, for now I can only fix 1 out of three of my reports.. but
reporting is better than not even spotting, isn't it?

Greetings,
Dominique