[vlc-devel] qt4 playlist model refactoring

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Dec 27 05:41:22 CET 2008

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 01:50:42AM +0200, Nick Shaforostoff wrote :
> I've done a bit of research and came to conclusion that PLItem class
> must be removed.
I kind of agree.

> Reasons:
> 1) it is hard to avoid rebuilding whole playlist when moving items.
> and the full refresh, with loosing scroll position, is very annoyning.
This is utterly stupidly done.
We shouldn't rebuild the whole playlist when adding/removing columns (we should
just fill the missing ones) and we shouldn't rebuild the whole playlist
when moving the items around.

> 2) UI doesn't respond until it finishes reading all items in playlist
> (and there may be thousands of tracks).
Agree here too.

> Data population should be lazy. Instead of keeping info in PLItems completely,
> there should be some kind of cache, using QCache.

> do you agree with me?

What I really think is that the VLC playlist in Qt is crap... The basics
are there but it is far from finished... Zorglub didn't finish correctly
and neither me nor any of the younglings (ivoire or JPeg) had the
correct will and time to do it.

We don't really use QItemDelegates and many other nice things.

Feel very free to work on it, especially if you are at ease with
Qt Model/View.

Two small things:
 - Be carefull to not break the tree playlist (as in shoutcast TV SD)
 - You should look at the project that you can find on vlc-ecp git that
   is reworking the playlist backend with a SQLite one and that we
   should merge hopefully in 1.1. Why ? Because they worked on the UI
   too (like inline edition of one column of one item)

This part of the interface is really bad, if you want to work on it, be
my guest.
I will be mostly offline for the next week, but I can help to guide
after that.

> P.S. ideas for future. videoclip mode: video is redered 'always on
> top', with 30% opacity.
> when mose cursor is on the video, it becomes non-transparent (100% opacity.).
Patches are welcome. :D

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf