[vlc-devel] [Fwd: Problem with net_Read while reading single character]

techfreak smile4you at gmx.ch
Wed Feb 6 21:59:38 CET 2008

Is really nobody out there who can say me what the return value -1 of
the funtion net_Read means or here I can find some documentation about?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	Problem with net_Read while reading single character
Datum: 	Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:35:17 +0100
Von: 	techfreak <smile4you at gmx.ch>
An: 	vlc-devel at videolan.org

Hello

I am implementing a VNC client as VLC video filter to get the OSD from a
streaming server on top of the video stream.

At the moment I have the problem that the function net_Read sometimes
returns with -1, always on line of code where I only read one single
character with the message type for the next message. The messages
window of VLC says "main error: Read error: Interrupted function call".

I didn't find any documentation about net_Read. What does the return
value -1 mean? What may be wrong?

I'm cross-compiling under linux (ubuntu) for windows and running VLC on
windows.

Here some lines of the code and below the output in messages.

rfbServerToClientMsg msg;
int i_read =  net_Read(p_filter, i_socket, NULL, (char*)&msg, 1, VLC_FALSE)
if (i_read > 0)
{
  ...continue reading the whole message
}
else
{
  msg_Err (p_filter, "Error %d while waiting next message on socket",
i_read);
}

This is the output in VLC messages:
osdvnc error: Waiting for next server message...
main error: Read error: Interrupted function call

osdvnc error: Error -1 while waiting next message on socket.