[vlc-devel] Accessing plugin programaticaly (libvlc?)

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Thu Feb 7 22:54:52 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008, jboileau wrote:
>    I have an application done using libvlc but I need to to do more than the
>    libvlc API provides. Is it possible to access plugin dll's to use some of
>    their functionnalities? For example I would like to add text on top of
>    videos, I believe that functionnality is in libmarq_plugin.dll (marquee?).
>    I have inspected the entry point for that plugin dll. The only entry point
>    is: vlc_entry__0_9_0f . Not much to go on. What can I do with that
>    function? I develop under Windows and would have liked to use
>    GetProcAddress to access plugin functions. If anyone can give me some idea
>    on where to start to understand this it would be greatly appreciated. If a
>    source file in the daily code snapshot contains code that I can look at
>    and would provide insight, this is a fine starting point,

Most runtime plugin communication is done through VLC variables with
callbacks in the plugin. I'm not sure if you can set a VLC object's
variable with the public API but if you can it's the way to go.

With the internal api it'd be something like:
vlc_object_t *p_obj = vlc_object_find_name( p_this, "marq", FIND_ANYWHERE );
var_SetString( p_obj, "marq-marquee", "Hi!" );

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea