[vlc-devel] Switching to git

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Sat Feb 16 22:00:12 CET 2008

Le Saturday 16 February 2008 22:48:29 Mark Moriarty, vous avez écrit :
> Question --
> Does git actually work in a Windows (Cygwin) environment?
> I've seen negative things.
>
> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)
>
> "Examples of projects that have publicly ruled out any use of Git, due to
> Git's poor support of Windows, include Mozilla[54] and Ruby.[55]"
>
> I know that you Linux folks do the majority of the heavy lifting, the vast
> majority, but do you really want to actively push away Windows people?

I am willing to ignore people who are not bothering to install mingw32 on
Ubuntu, despite of repeated advices against using Cygwin, countless Cygwin
breakages, horrible performance yield, and wasted time working around the
build system.

But this is a theoretical issue, as... if you are sufficiently masochist that
you can build VLC with Cygwin, you can use git on Cygwin as well.

We have several things that needs branching/merging, including dionoea's work
on chroma, SoC if we do it again, the RTP demux work that I keep committing
by accident, and all the stuff that we could do but don't...

In any case, there is very strong support for git among the active
*committers*. We're still going to have the source snapshots, and probably
are going to have some CVS and/or SVN export read-only.

http://www.remlab.net/