[vlc-devel] VLC media player 0.8.6e

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Feb 28 01:51:16 CET 2008

Dear VideoLAN users,

The VideoLAN Team is pleased to announce the release of
VLC media player 0.8.6e.

This version is aimed at fixing security vulnerabilities in the
Web interface, Subtitle demuxer, Real RTSP demuxer, SDL_image library
and MP4 demuxer which affect VLC media player 0.8.6d and earlier.

Technical details are available in our advisories:
http://www.videolan.org/security/sa0801.html and
http://www.videolan.org/security/sa0802.html

We would like to credit Michal Luczaj for reporting the Subtitle demuxer
vulnerability, Luigi Ariemma for reporting the Web interface and Real
RTSP demuxer issue and finally Felipe Manzano and Anibal Sacco from
Core Security Technologies for their report on the MP4 demuxer issue.

Improvements in this release include H.264 encoding compatibility,
DTS to S/PDIF and 5.1 audio fixes on ALSA. The behavior of the
Preferences panel on Mac OS X has been corrected.

Please note that Mac OS X 10.3.9 is fully supported again.

The full list of changes can be found on our tracking site:
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/tags/0.8.6e/NEWS

We strongly recommend all users to update to this new version and as
always to only download from the main VideoLAN website.

Enjoy this release,

The VideoLAN Team

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf, for the VideoLAN Team