[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r24388 (oaubert)

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Fri Jan 18 18:14:48 CET 2008

> I wonder why the bindings need to access this (apart from backward
> compatibility). Low-level thread IDs don't make much sense from Python code.
> And reading refcount should never ever be needed - you can still use
> vlc_object_yield and vlc_object_release of course.
vlc_internal, as its name implies, is rather aimed at helping to debug
VLC code rather than implementing something on top of it. It offers a
direct access to the objects of VLC, their variables, their config
variables, their children, etc. In this context, accessing the refcount
allows for live inspection of this parameter and can help to figure out
some problems.

It has nothing in common (except its source directory) with the
python-vlc bindings.

Anyway, since the last linker changes make it harder to access this
internal information, the module does not link properly anyway, so I
will maybe just have to dump it if I cannot manage to fix it.

Olivier